I’m not a politically sophisticated person, but I do have deeply rooted values. I’ve been asked what, ‘does it mean that you are an Independent?’ So, I did some research on key issues that the parties tend to define their positions on and am sharing where my values (political ontology) lie:
- Government should facilitate not hinder private enterprise
- Regulations should be clear and purposed
- Taxes and resulting budgets need to be responsible and accountable
- Innovation & economic diversification are key to community sustainability
- Social support programs should be like trampolines; where when folks are hit by negatives out of their control, social systems in place can be used to bounce them back into meaningful employment not become a way of life.
- Substance abuse is a threat to community wellbeing that should leverage outside resources to address.
- Gun ownership – clearly we have a Constitutional “…right to bear arms”:
- For Clearwater County, gun use provides for mine and many families’ sources of protein.
- Military – I’m a proud Army mom and wholeheartedly support providing our troops with what they need to do their job
- Immigration should be managed:
- For Clearwater County the relationship I’m aware of is for supporting the timber industry/forest mgmt. (tree planting, killing gophers, pre-commercial thinning)
- Womens’ rights – I believe we as humans have the right and responsibility of self determination
- LGBQ – I believe we need to be who we are but, don’t pull a ‘special’ card; as citizens, work, pay taxes and contribute positively
- Healthcare is a huge challenge in our nation. I wish a solution could be built that enables every employer to offer health insurance; and that the costs of accessing care was not so out of reach.
Christina St Germaine