Down Memory Lane Pishl

NEW POLICE CHIEF – Jim Pishl was sworn in as the new Orofino Police Chief at City council. Pishl is an Orofino native graduating from Orofino High School in 1966. After two years of Army service he attended Lewis-Clark State College Police Academy, graduating in 1972. He worked in the Police department at Wallace before coming back to Orofino in 1973, where he has been a patrolman for the past five years. During the past three years, he was a criminal investigator for the department. He and his wife Kathy have three children, Michael, Adam and Amy Jo. Clearwater Tribune, Nov. 2, 1978

10 years – Oct. 30, 2008

Road construction on Hwy. 12 at the end of Orofino Bridge is underway with a completion date of April of 2009. Debco Construction was the winning bidder of the .885 mile construction job with a bid of $2.657 million.

Terri Summerfield, Weippe Public Library Director, was handed a check for $3,981 from the Verizon Company during a recent luncheon. Terrie received a call from Renee Miller, Verizon External Affairs Manager for Oregon and Idaho, saying Weippe’s Teen Zone project was the recipient of Verizon’s Check into Literacy Funds for Idaho.

20 years – Oct. 29, 1998

Young people from the Nez Perce Salmon Corps were in Orofino to help rehabilitate the banks of Orofino Creek by planting willow starts.

Sixteen building permits were issued in Orofino during August 1998. All were for additions, remodeling, or repairs. The total construction $84,385, compared with a total amount of $165,340 worth of construction the year prior for 19 permits.

30 years – Nov. 3, 1988

The controversial McClure-Andrus Wilderness bill would lock up portions of both the Mallard-Larkin and Vanderbilt areas as wilderness, a move that the newly formed Clearwater Resource Coalition strongly opposes.

Twenty-three members of the Orofino Swim Team participated in a dual meet with the Moscow swim team at the University of Idaho swimming pool. Orofino came away as winners. The Orofino swimmers performed like they hadn’t been out of the water for two and a half months.

40 years – Nov. 2, 1978

Two new candidates who have waged hard campaigns for Representative include Republican Mike Blewett, young Culdesac farmer and former school teacher who has used the one percent initiative as a cornerstone of his drive, and Democrat Marguerite McLaughlin, widely known in the county, a district 171 school trustee who has strong support.

50 years – Oct. 31, 1968

There will be no parking, not even emergency parking permitted in the area west of the airport down to Chases flat where the road narrows to two lanes. On the two lane road there is white stripping with space outside the lines where there is room for stopping a car if necessary.

Some Riverside residents were without water due to vandalism at the reservoir. Someone pulled a cable that regulates the sending unit that turns the pump off and on. Whoever the vandals were, they didn’t know the danger involved in tampering with the reservoir, as 440 volts of electricity runs through the wiring control mechanism on top of the tank.

60 years – Oct. 30, 1958

Orofino youths are asked to refrain from turning on the city’s fire hydrants during their annual Halloween escapades tomorrow night as the open hydrants could present a serious problem to the city in case of fire.

A partner in the Schmidt Bros. mill which has operated in the area for 30 years, Ralph Schmidt, spent his boyhood at Weippe until the family moved to Lewiston in 1934. He was killed when his Cessna plane crashed into the home of Mr. and Mrs. Allen Johnson en-route to the mill at Weippe.

70 years – Nov. 4, 1948

The Anti-T B. association of Clearwater County has agreed to purchase cod liver oil to be given to the schoolchildren of the county. This will be handled by the schools.

Redecorations are underway in the 11 room Burns hospital, the management of which was turned over to Mrs. L. L. Mauro. The rooms will be painted white. Dr. Mauro will spend his time at the local hospital in the mornings. In the afternoons he will look after his practice in Nezperce.

80 years – Nov. 4, 1938

The Orofino service station joined the throng of Orofino business concerns to boast of Neon electric signs, when one was installed in front of its pumps. The sign consists of a circular blue background with a large orange colored V in the the center and the word “Veltex” appearing horizontally across the circle. The neon lighting is red over this word.

Greer – the Ladies community club will meet at the home of Mrs. George Williams. The club has had six street lights installed which will operate from 5 o’clock to twelve at night.

90 years – Nov. 2, 1928

That the pole shipping along the Stites Branch of Camas Prairie railroad is furnishing the people of that section a revenue that is most welcome in view of the hard times many are feeling in the face of a sharp decline in the wheat market.

About 19 miles out of Orofino on the meadow of Cow creek where the road to Pierce crosses the creek is a sense of great activity where a few weeks ago there stood a couple of old miner’s shacks and the home of J. R. Crawdord. The place now looks like a small village and indications are it will be active for several years.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.