10 years – July 21, 2011
From a Maniac to a Golden Bear, Orofino’s own Kathleen (Katie) Nemeth has been recruited for women’s soccer at Concordia University (CUSP) in St. Paul, MN – but not before making some waves right here in town. She was Orofino’s 2010 Jr. Miss; she was the Valedictorian in her 2011 graduating class, and she participated in her school’s Youth Legislature for a time.*
Farm Services requested the board of commissioners to declare an emergency for farming disaster in the county. They estimated there 5000 acres of damaged crops from the wet weather. The precipitation was at 164 percent above the normal 10 year average. Between January and May, 19 inches of rain fell.*
20 years – July 19, 2001
Orofino Chamber of Commerce members toured the Lolo Motorway to become better acquainted with the area and be prepared to talk with visitors who will soon be coming for the Bicentennial of the Corps of Discovery. The group traveled about 35 miles of the motorway’s narrow, winding, rough road to get a first-hand look at the territory. While they traveled the route in air conditioned comfort of four-wheel drive vehicles, there is still the feel of history.*
Al Arnzen, Grangeville, was introduced as interim superintendent during Joint School District #171 trustees meeting. The trustees will continue their search for a permanent superintendent. Arnzen was in education for 34 years before retiring four years ago.*
30 years – July 18, 1991
President Bush has recognized the importance of cultural resources such as the Historic Trail. The 99th Congress designated the Nez Perce Trail a National Historic Trail on Oct. 6, 1986.
The trail commemorates an 1877 event when the Nez Perce left their homeland and sought peace among their allies to the east. What happened that year is a story of tragedy, bravery, and one of the most remarkable happenings in the history of this County. Precipitated into a flight they did not seek, 750 non-treaty Nez Perce fought for their lives in 20 battles and skirmishes against several thousand soldiers, civilian volunteers and Indians of other tribes.*
40 years – July 23, 1981
Joe and Dale Richardson have begun dismantling the 38-year old Riverside sawmill marking the final decision to close a $3,000,000 a year sales lumber business that has been a steady bulwark of the Orofino economy since 1943.
The disposal of equipment and some of the buildings on the 17-acre leased Nez Perce Indian property will probably be completed by the end of this year according to founder Joe Richardson. The action follows a year shut down from poor lumber markets and inability of the firm to get a satisfactory renewal lease with the Tribal Council at Lapwai.*
50 years – July 22, 1971
The Health Department sadly announces that due to increased numbers of people one more of our pioneer habits must fade into the past. This is the disposal of solid waste. We can no longer dump our garbage and rubbish any place we want without affecting the lives of other people.
At this time, the county is fairly well served by garbage routes and hopefully two more will be established in the near future. The county also has available two FREE landfills.*
Oscar Medalen informed Orofino Celebrations that he has an old tug-of-war rope available for use. The directors are issuing a challenge to the Pierce 1860 Days directors to a tug-of-war contest, over the birling pool.
At a special meeting at the Clarke Burnham home, directors made arrangements to purchase new steel frame bleachers, with the old ones to be given to the little league field.*
60 years – July 20, 1961
Oh, he’d heard of it, but never in his 35 years of printing had our foreman, Julian Dahl, actually seen anyone drop a drawer full of printing type. It’s called a “piing” a case in printer’s jargon and is most feared because of the number of pieces it leaves to be picked up. This week it happened twice-each time to a different man-but with the same case of jinxed type. Wally Rugg was initiated after 15 years of printing; Joe Pakkala after less than 15 weeks.*
Ever hear of a “Palouser”? Know where it got its name?
Cutting a hole in the side of a tin can so that a candle will fit in it makes a nifty reflector. Our historian, Ed Gaffney, tells us the name got its start in the North Idaho mining country in the 1890s when Palouse farm boys were hired to break up a mining strike. They weren’t able to adequately shield a special mining candle from drafts with their arm as the moved through the mine and thus rigged up a reflector that was later named for them. The item is in common logging camp use even today.*
70 years – July 19, 1951
Two Orofino soldiers, veterans of two wars, returned home from Japan last week. Cpl. Walter Moore was discharged while Pfc. Victor Hulett was placed on inactive status.
Both men were reservists. Hulett was called to active duty last September and served for a time at Ft. Lewis, Wash., before shipping to Japan where he worked as an assistant in surgery. He was a combat medic in the European theatre during World War II.
Moore returned to active duty in November with the ordinance department after serving in Germany during the last war. He was stationed at Yokohama seven months with an ordinance ammunition company.
The two Orofino veterans returned to the States on the U.S.S. Hugh Gaffey, an army troop ship.*
80 years – July 24, 1941
The housewife this week is the nation’s hero as she digs into closets, shelves and pantries in search of old aluminum pots and pans which are so vitally needed for the production of airplanes, tanks, and battleships.
In Orofino “Aluminum for Defense” week will be climaxed by an all-county parade sponsored by the Lion’s Club.*
90 years – July 24, 1931
The Tribune was reliably informed the first of the week that travel routed to Lewiston can go down the new Lewis and Clark highway as far as Lenore, crossing the river there and continuing on the old road to Cherry Lanes where the river is again spanned by a bridge and taking the new road again to Myrtle.
The going from Cherry Lanes to Myrtle is the rough part of the way as the construction work is still under way and the right-of-way is rocky. However, part of this sector is graveled and graveling is following completion of the grading closely. This is undoubtedly the best route down river on account of the shorter distance.*