July 31, 2014

Hunters must purchase controlled hunt tags by Aug. 1

   Big game hunters who were drawn in controlled hunt drawings for deer, elk, antelope and bear have only until Aug. 1 to purchase their tags. Any tags not purchased by that date will be forfeited.

   Controlled hunt tags are allocated by a random drawing from a pool of hunters who have submitted applications. Moose, bighorn sheep and mountain goat hunts in Idaho are all controlled hunts. Both general and controlled hunts are available for other big game species.

   The big game controlled hunt drawings have been completed and hunters can find out if they drew a tag by checking the controlled hunt drawing results on the IDFG website: It is the responsibility of controlled hunt applicants to see if they were drawn for these limited entry hunting opportunities. Big game general hunt tags are available in most big game units for those who do not draw.

   Between Aug. 2 and Aug. 4, Fish and Game will compile a list of forfeited tags. A second drawing will award the forfeited tags. The application period for this second drawing runs from Aug. 5 to 15. The drawing will be held around Aug. 20. Any remaining tags will be available over the counter on Aug. 25.

   Hunters hoping to hunt on private land should contact landowners on whose property they hope to hunt. According to a survey of rural Idaho landowners, 88 percent will allow some level of hunting on their property if hunters ask for permission. Most landowners are more likely to grant access to their land to people who ask well in advance. 

   Tags for general hunts and controlled hunts may be purchased at any Fish and Game office, any license vendor, by telephone at 800-554-8685 or online at