April 3, 2014

Moose, Sheep and Goat controlled hunt applications due

   The application period for moose, bighorn sheep and mountain goat controlled hunts opens this week. Applications for these hunts will be accepted April 1 through April 30.

   Only one mountain goat tag will be offered in Hunt Area 39 this year, resulting from fires in Unit 39 two years ago. Because of those fires, managers were forced to close the hunt in 2012, leaving four tag-holders with rain checks. Three of those hunters have elected to participate in the hunt in the 2014 season. Hunt Area 39 is a small geographic area with limited access points, and limited goat population. The Fish and Game Commission agreed having more than 4 hunters with mountain goat tags could cause crowding for the once-in-a-lifetime hunt. 

   Anyone interested in applying for controlled hunts can apply at Fish and Game offices or license vendors or with a credit card by telephone or over the Internet. Telephone applications may be made at 1-800-554-8685; Internet users may apply through Fish and Game's website at .
Each applicant must possess a valid 2014
Idaho hunting or combination license to apply for a controlled hunt. License fees will not be refunded. Moose, goat and sheep hunt applicants must pay the tag fee along with a non-refundable application fee. Tag fees will be refunded to those who do not draw. The resident application, including application fee, costs $173; nonresidents pay $2,116.50. Unsuccessful resident applicants will receive a refund of $166.75; unsuccessful nonresident applicants will receive a refund of $2,101.75.

   Mailed applications must be postmarked no later than April 30. Harvest statistics for moose, bighorn sheep and mountain goats are available online at: 3
   Hunters who apply for moose, goat or sheep may not apply for other controlled hunts in the same year except for unlimited controlled hunts, extra deer, elk or pronghorn hunts, controlled bear hunts or depredation hunts. Those who draw a moose, goat or sheep permit may not apply to hunt the same species for two years, even if they don't kill an animal.

   Any person who has killed an antlered moose in Idaho may apply only for an antlerless moose permit. Anyone who has killed an antlerless moose in Idaho may apply only for an antlered moose permit. Anyone who has killed a mountain goat in Idaho since 1977 may not apply for a mountain goat permit. Anyone who has killed a California bighorn or a Rocky Mountain bighorn may not apply again for the same type of sheep, but they may apply for the other subspecies.