Click here for obituaries published July to December, 2012
Click here for obituaries published January to June, 2012
Click here for obituaries published July to December, 2011

Click here for obituaries published January to June, 2011
Click here for obituaries published Oct. 28 - Dec. 30, 2010
Click here for obituaries published Aug. 12 - Oct. 21, 2010

Obituaries for January 10, 2013

Stanley Paul Drobish, 83, Moscow

   Stanley Paul Drobish passed to be with our Lord on Dec. 15, 2012 at Aspen Park Health and Rehabilitation in Moscow. His death was due to complications from a broken leg, and other ongoing health issues. He was 83 years old.

   Stan was born on July 20, 1929 in Cornwall Bridge, CT, the son of Stanley P. Drobish Sr. and Mary M. Stefanick, both of Pennsylvania.

   He grew up working on his parents’ dairy farm raising cows and crops. He met his future bride, Karin V. Askeroi who also worked on a local farm. Stan and Karin both had a love of motorcycles and fast cars. Stan started racing stock cars, and soon Karin would join him. They often competed against each other, with Karin often times beating him on the tracks. They fell in love, and married Aug. 25, 1950 in Chittenago NY.

   One of Stan’s first jobs, along with Karin, was for Carrier Corp. in Syracuse NY, working on air conditioning components. He and Karin worked many other jobs together, including truck driving.

   After their first child, Paula, was born in 1954, they moved to California to pursue a better life and better opportunities. Stan hired on as a welder, building Sherman tanks for the war. He also worked as a welder building ornamental iron.

   Stan’s oldest son Erik was ill as a child, and Stan worked many jobs to take care of him and his growing family. They lived in California until 1968, when due to Erik’s kidney disease, Stan took his family to Prospect,  OR to be closer to the medical attention in Portland that Erik would soon need for his illness. Stan gave his son his kidney when his own were failing. This was the proudest moment of his life, to be able to sustain that of his son’s.

   Stan worked in Medford OR as a millwright, and then in 1976 he went to Alaska to work on the Alaska pipeline. He also started his own independent company called Stan’s Portable Welding. In 1981 Stan then went to work at Mt. St. Helens, WA.

   In 1983 Stan moved to Challis, ID to work at Thompson Creek mine, where he was a welder, welding instructor and machinist. He worked there until he retired at age 65.

   After his wife Karin passed in 2003, he moved to be closer to his daughters in Orofino. He resided at Brookside Landing for over a year, then moved to Bovill and lived for two years with his daughter Paula. His illnesses resulted in his move back to assisted living where he then lived his last two years at Whitman Senior living in Pullman, WA.

   Stan is preceded in death by his parents Stan and Mary Drobish, his son Erik Andrew Drobish, and his wife Karin V. Drobish.

   He is survived by his sister Ann Drebot in Omaha NB, his daughter Paula Drobish in Bovill, ID, his daughter Elizabeth Smith of Ahsahka, ID, his son William Drobish in Cottage Grove, OR, his daughter Christina Hilts of Reno, NV, and his daughter Anne Drobish Shahat of Moscow. He is also survived by grandson Erik Cloud of Boise, ID, grandson Zachary Cloud, and two great grandchildren Celestine and Ziggo of Sweethome, OR, grandson Matthew Drobish, and granddaughter Chelsea Drobish of Cottage Grove, OR.

   Stan was well loved by his children and all that got to know him. He was the kindest, most caring man, husband and father. He loved the times he spent with his family, and the simple things in life. A cold beer, a bowl of ice cream, and a game of dice were the things he enjoyed most in his later years. He had a beautiful spirit, and a laugh that was infectious. He will be sorely missed.

   A family memorial service will be held at a later date.

   In memorandum, donations can be made in Stan’s memory to ICARE, Inc. (cancer assistance and recovery efforts) 1691 Old Ahsahka Grade, Ahsahka, ID 83520.

Alyce Titus, 87, Orofino/Carlsbad

   Alyce Titus passed away peacefully on Dec. 20, 2012, in Carlsbad, CA where she spent her last four years, living with her son Brad. She was 87.

   Alyce was born in Winchester on Nov. 26, 1925, and moved to Orofino at a young age. It was at Orofino High School where she met the love of her life, Darrel Titus. We will never know if the marriage would have lasted, because they were only married for 64 years.

   Darrel and Alyce adopted two children, Brad Titus and Allyson Davidson, before moving to Bakersfield, CA, where Darrel was a teacher and Alyce ran a dress shop. They spent 50 years in Bakersfield, CA before returning to their roots in Orofino, where they built a house and relished their final 12 years together.

   Anyone who ever met Alyce will tell you she might just have been the most positive individual they had ever met. She was creative, with a sly, subtle sense of humor, and always gave the outward appearance of being at complete peace.

   She volunteered for many groups and organizations her entire life. She even set up and organized the first library at her children’s elementary school.

   Alyce is survived by her sister Doris Benson of Lewiston, her son Brad and daughter Allyson, and grandchildren Grant, Lauren, Renessa and James.

   She has now been laid to rest next to her best friend and dance partner, Darrel, at Lewis and Clark Memorial Garden Cemetery in Lewiston.

   They were always thought of as being a couple in life and will continue to be forever.

James Lyle Simler, 74, Kamiah

   James Lyle Simler of Kamiah passed away Dec. 31, 2012. He was 74.

   Jim was born April 18, 1938 to Fred and Anna (Moon) Simler. Jim was very active as an Elder in the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah Witness. He married Claudette Mayhew and together they had two children. They later divorced.

   Jim worked for the Carnation Dairy Company as a driver and later started Simler’s Tires which he owned and operated for over 40 years. Jim enjoyed spending time with family and friends and when asked, “How are you doing today?” his reply would always be, “Oh, about the same.”

   Jim was preceded in death by his parents, Fred and Anna Simler, sister, Helen Crawford, and nephew, Dale Crawford. He is survived by his brothers, Steve Simler and Pat (Kathy) Simler; son Jacob (Jennifer) Simler and daughter, Olivia (Harold) Simler; four grandchildren, Joseph, Ashley, Justina and Joelle; four great-grandchildren and several nieces and nephews.

   Services will be held at Kamiah Kingdom Hall at 1 p.m. on Jan. 12 and a luncheon will follow at the American Legion Hall. Please come join us for food and reminisce on the life of a wonderful father, brother and friend.

   “With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say, ‘Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his peoples. And God himself will be with them. And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain by anymore! The former things have passed away.’” Revelation 21:3-4.

Roy George Lucas, 73

   Roy George Lucas peacefully left this world on Dec. 21, 2012, dying of natural causes. He was born on April 28, 1939 to Mildred and Glen Lucas in Libby, MT. His father, Glen, was killed in a logging accident when he was less than a year old and he always knew and called his step-father Duane Whitehouse “Dad”. Soon a brother and sister joined the family; Sara Ann and Kent Whitehouse.

   Roy was very involved in sports during his childhood and high school years and earned the distinction of “Captain of the football team” and MVP several years running.

   Roy received his engineering certificate from Northern Montana College in Havre, MT, after high school and was promptly employed by the United States Forest Service as a drafting engineer, designing many roads and campgrounds in Northwestern Montana, one among many that is well known in the Eureka area is Terriault Lakes campground.

   Roy met and married Bonnie Walker in 1960 and they had two daughters; Jackie and Heidi. The family resided in Libby until 1965 during which time Roy was very involved in the Jaycees. Roy was also an avid classic car enthusiast during this time of his life.

   Roy loved Montana and Idaho where he lived all of his life with the exception of a brief three year period from 1965 – 1968 when he moved his young family to San Rafael, CA, where he worked at Pacific Gas and Electric. Roy loved to camp and be outdoor as much as possible, enjoying hunting, fishing and any activity that took him into the mountains to see God’s glorious creation. He also had an immense love of animals, especially dogs, of which he rescued several, giving them loving homes.

   In 1968, Roy returned to Montana and the Forest Service working at Murphy Lake Ranger station, Raven Ranger Station and Eureka Ranger Station. Roy and Bonnie were divorced in 1972.

   After taking a forest service transfer to Orofino, ID, he met and married Karen Carlson. He was overjoyed to have Karen in his life, along with her five wonderful children; Terry, Rick, Mike, Rob, and Dena. Roy also met lifelong friends, John and Peggy Haight, whom he always considered family and were truly a blessing to him more than they could ever know.

   The couple resided in Idaho approx. 20 years, but did return to Columbia Falls, MT, after Roy’s retirement from 25 years with the Forest Service in 1990.  Roy then took an engineering job in Whitefish, MT, at WMW Engineering until his heart attack in 1998 when he was forced to 'truly retire’.

   Roy is survived by his wife, Karen Lucas of Columbia Falls, MT. His mother, Mildred Whitehouse, brother, Kent Whitehouse and sister, Sara Ann Whitehouse all of Libby, MT. Daughters, Jackie Lynn (Lucas) LeBlanc and husband Robert Joseph LeBlanc of Fortine, MT;  Heidi Jo (Lucas) Freemantle of Jimboomba Australia; Rick Carlson of Columbia Falls, MT; Mike Carlson of Clarkston, WA,, and Dena Carlson of Clarkston, WA.  Roy is also survived by 14 grandchildren, Robert, Aaron, Hannah, Maya, Kelly, Mikeal, Kendra, Dylan, Trevor, Wyatte, David, Johnny, Jeffery and Ashley. Roy also leaves behind many wonderful aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews and cousins.

   He was preceded in death by his step-sons Terry Carlson and Rob Carlson and his father Glen Lucas and step-father Duane Whitehouse.

   Roy was a wonderful man always putting others needs before his own. He had an infectious laugh and a wonderful sense of humor. He brightened the lives of all who came into contact with him. The void he leaves in our lives is immense, but we rejoice that he has flown away to be with his Lord and savior, Jesus Christ and is free from the pain and sickness of this world.

   Good-bye our brother, son, father, husband, grandfather, uncle and friend, we will miss you.

Patsy J. Sapp, 74, former Peck resident

   Patsy J. Sapp, formerly of Peck, was born Oct. 9, 1939 to Mable Hale Manning and George Manning. She passed away Sunday, Dec. 30, 2012 in Woodland, WA at the age of 74.

   No services are planned at this time. Condolences may be sent to Sherri Silva, P.O. Box 2030, Kalama, WA 98625.

Michael Tim McHale, 65

   Michael Tim McHale died Friday, Dec. 28, 2012 at his Orofino residence. He was 65.

   No services are planned at this time.

   Pine Hills Funeral Chapel & Crematory is in care of arrangements.

Roland Lycan, 76, Kooskia

   Roland “Rollie” Lycan of Kooskia died Sunday, Jan. 6, 2013 at St. Mary's Hospital in Cottonwood. Rollie was 76.

   A memorial service will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 19 at The Life Center, Highway 12 in Kamiah.

   Trenary Funeral Home of Kooskia, Idaho is assisting the family.

Rexford Dewey Christensen, 88, Orofino

   Rexford Dewey Christensen, born in Blackfoot, on June 3, 1924, died in Orofino on Saturday, Dec. 29, 2012, of natural causes. When he was almost a year old his mother carried him a block down the street to visit her friend, who had that day given birth to Edith Clark. Rex met her the day she was born and they would marry 19 years later, in 1944. They were married for 68 years.

   At the end of World War II, Rex served in the Army Air Corps as a radio operator on a B-29. He worked for the U.S. Postal Inspection Service for over 20 years and as a police chief for Amtrak in Los Angeles, CA for five years, before retiring in 1982 to Blackfoot.

   He was an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He served with Edith in the New Jersey, Morristown Mission and in the Idaho Falls Temple, and he served as Patriarch in the Blackfoot Idaho South Stake.

   To be closer to family, Rex and Edith moved to Brookside Landing in Orofino in 2011.

   Rex was preceded in death by his parents, William Dewey and Elva Christensen, daughter LaRae Call, grandson Rick LeBaron and great grandson Logan LeBaron.

   He is survived by his wife Edith, his son-in-law Lynn Call, of Ogden, UT; daughter Annette LeBaron (Doug), of Orofino; son Kevin (LeeAnn) Christensen, of Twentynine Palms, CA; 16 grandchildren, 41 great grandchildren and 11 great-great grandchildren.

   Funeral services were held Jan. 5 at the Orofino LDS church building at 13610 Fremont Avenue. In lieu of flowers, you may send donations to a non-profit organization for Parkinson’s disease research.

   Pine Hills Funeral Chapel & Crematory is in care of arrangements.

Obituaries for January 3, 2013

Orin Leroy “Lee” Squire, 75, Orofino

   Orin Leroy “Lee” Squire was born in Billings, MT, on Oct. 24, 1937, to Georgia Maxine Squire, and as a young child, he was adopted by Jack E. Squire, who was his “dad.”

   Lee grew up in Euclid, OH, where he graduated from Euclid High School, and then joined the United States Marine Corps. After completing his term with the Marines, Lee then joined the US Navy, from which he retired after 22 years, as a Chief Warrant Officer 4.

   Lee met Phyllis Coon in a high school math class, and in 1958 they were married.  Together they had three beautiful daughters. Lee and Phyllis were a powerful force working together through the years, in their family and their many contributions to their community, no matter where the military or life sent them. They maintained decades-long relationships with many people, who remained dear to them throughout their lives together.

   While he was in the military, Lee pursued a college education between deployments, and in 1980, he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in History from Old Dominion University in Virginia. This degree opened the path to achieve his lifetime goal to be an attorney.  After retirement from the Navy, Lee was off to law school and his next career.

   Utilizing one last move provided by the military, Lee, Phyllis, and their youngest daughter, Jackye, moved to Moscow, ID, where he was accepted to the University of Idaho, College of Law. He and Jackye attended college together for two years, a truly rare and unique opportunity for a father and daughter.

   After obtaining his Juris Doctorate degree in 1985, Lee was given the opportunity to share office space with attorneys John Swayne and Steve Calhoun in Orofino, ID, where he and Phyllis put down deep roots.  Lee was an active member of the local Kiwanis Club, as well as the Marine Corps League and the VFW.

   Over the course of his legal career, Lee was the Deputy Prosecuting Attorney of Clearwater County, and served as the City Attorney for Orofino, Pierce, Weippe, and Kamiah.  In 1999, he was selected to be the Magistrate for Clearwater County in the Second Judicial District of Idaho.  This appointment was a great honor to him, and he took being a Judge very seriously.

   In 2004, Lee retired due to the declining health of his beloved Phyllis. He cared for her through the years of her illness, until her death, after 50 years of marriage, in July, 2008. Lee was devastated by her death, but he knew they would be together again one day.

   In 2010, Lee began corresponding with Shirley Van Kirk, with whom he had attended the same high school, she being a year behind him. After a brief courtship, they were married in July, 2012. While their time together was short, their love for one another was obvious and genuine.

   Lee is survived by his loving wife, Shirley, and his three daughters, Laura Meier and her sons, Charles and Zachary; Tammy Gerberding, her husband Bob, and their children Daniel and Andrea; and Jackye Squire. He is also survived by Shirley’s children, Richard Van Kirk, his wife Mary, and their children Jared, Sarah and Madelyn; Joaline Garvey, her husband Shad, and their children Courtney and Ashlyn; and Laurena Karrle, her husband Ben, and daughter, Shayna; and by Shirley’s sisters Donna Carron and Nanette Meyer, and her husband Bob.

   Lee was predeceased by his parents, and his brother, James Squire.  Lee also leaves behind many, many long-time and much-beloved friends.

   Services will be held at the Best Western Lodge at Rivers Edge in Orofino, ID, on Saturday, Jan. 5, 2013, at 3 p.m. The family requests that, if possible, attendees whose calling has required the wearing of a uniform, active duty or retired, to please wear your uniform to the service.

   In lieu of flowers, please make a donation to the Squire Family Education Foundation, Clearwater County EMS Department, the Orofino Kiwanis Club, or the charity of your choice.

   Pine Hills Funeral Chapel and Crematory is in care of arrangements.

Dale M. Klaudt, 54, Lewiston

   Dale Marvin Klaudt, 54, of Lewiston Idaho, went home to be with his Lord and Savior on Dec. 15, 2012, at Oregon Health and Science University in Portland, OR. He courageously battled leukemia and passed away peacefully in the presence of his loving wife Debbie and his brother Ron. Dale’s final days were spent surrounded by family and friends who were hopeful to the end and grateful for every moment they had with him.

   Dale was born April 16, 1958, to Raymond and June (Stringer) Klaudt in

Missoula, MT. He spent the first 10 years of his youth there before moving with his family to Orofino, ID, where he attended school and graduated from Orofino High School in 1976. Dale lived many years in Peck and worked at Potlatch Corp. (Jaype Unit), before transferring to the tissue mill (Clearwater Paper) in Lewiston, working more than 35 years with the company. He married his soul mate, Debbie Paris Vicory, on May 3, 2003.

   An avid outdoorsman, he loved to hunt and fish, and forage for mushrooms and wild berries. Each summer he would take his mom out huckleberry picking in the Blue Mountains. He spent as much time as possible in nature going backpacking, camping, and hunting with his nephews, brother-in-law, father-in-law, and friends. He especially loved his annual trip to Alaska to fish with his brother.

   Always known for his sense of humor, Dale was king of the one-liners. He continued to find joy and humor in every day situations, even throughout his illness.

   Most importantly, Dale was a compassionate and kind husband and friend who let his love for Jesus Christ shine through in everything he did. His friendship was a blessing to many. He made everyone feel important, and his family, friends, and co-workers knew they could rely on him for support, encouragement, and laughs.

   Dale is survived by wife, Debbie Klaudt of Lewiston; parents, Ray and June Klaudt, of Clarkston; brother, Ron (Rita) Klaudt of Juneau, AK; sister, Coral (Theron) Bruce of Peck; and stepsons, Joseph, Jeremy, and Jeffrey Vicory of Sacramento, CA. He is also survived by brother-in-law, Jody (Melinda) Paris of Clarkston, father-in-law, Mike (Maura) Paris of Dayton, WA, mother-in-law, Lorraine Adkison of Clarkston, sister-in-law, Lorrie (Matt) Miller of Kennewick, WA; uncles, Jerry (Ella Mae) Klaudt and Neil (Caryl) Klaudt of Missoula, MT; aunts, Wanda Ebel of Petaluma, CA and Faye (Bill) Kennedy of Colville, WA; nieces, Cicely (Nathan) Bernard of Yachats, OR, Sara (Steve) Whitney of Juneau, Jessica Paris of Orofino, and Amber Paris of Boise, ID; nephews, Jeremy (Krista) Bruce of

Wasilla, AK, Jason (Trisha) Bruce of Campania, Italy, Jarel (Megan) Bruce of St. Maries, ID, Cody Paris of Clarkston, and Dustin Paris of Lewiston; eight great-nieces and greatnephews, many cousins and friends.

   A memorial service was held on Dec. 22 and Dale was interred at Lewis and  Clark Memorial Gardens. A Hallelujah Gathering and celebration of Dale’s life is planned around his birthday in April.

Donna Fay Plotnik, 83, Weippe

   Donna Fay Plotnik passed away Monday, Dec. 24, 2012 at Clearwater Valley Hospital in Orofino from causes related to age, with her family by her side. She was 83.

   She was born March 31, 1929 in Mountain Home, Utah to David Housekeeper and Ester Johnston-Housekeeper on the family farm. She stayed there until the age of 10 when the family of 11 children moved to Sandpoint.

   After high school she welcomed her first son Garry Housekeeper. Three years later her second son James Reynolds came along. 

   She later married Allen Plotnik and together they had a son, Robert Plotnik who was born in Grand Coulee Dam, WA. They later made their home in Aurora, OR. The marriage ended in divorce but they remained friends until Allen passed in 2002. 

   She worked as a waitress and even owned her own business, a restaurant and bar in Mount Angel, OR. After selling her business she obtained her C.N.A. license and worked as a private caregiver until the age of 78. 

   When she was 79 she moved to Weippe to be closer to her family. She enjoyed gardening and took pride in her ability to grow beautiful roses. She also enjoyed traveling. She was 81 when she bought her first fishing license. She enjoyed fishing but refused to bait her own hook or take her fish off. 

   Donna was a Lifelong Member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 

   She is survived by her sons, Garry Housekeeper and Patricia Askay of Weippe and James Reynolds of Pierce; four grandchildren, Ken and Lori Reynolds of Lewiston, Cory and Christina Supak of Weippe, Mike and Tanya Howington of Nez Perce, and Sean and Sondra Burger of Alamogordo, NM; nine great grandchildren, Connor, Austin, Tyler, Kyra, Owen, Alyssa, Daisy, Kade, and Marissa; two step grandchildren, Seth and Kinsey; many nieces and nephews, and her precious dog Pansy. 

   She was preceded in death by a son, Robert Plotnik; five brothers, David, Elvin, Jesse, Leonard, and Arlo; five sisters, Rosetta, Lenora, Zelma, Melissa, and Edna; and her beloved dog Tina, who was cremated and will be laid to rest with her. 

   There will be a private family memorial dinner at the home of Ken and Lori Reynolds in Lewiston on Jan. 11.

   Cremation has taken place and she will be laid to rest this Spring at Fraser Cemetery next to her son.

Ellen Huffman, 87, Cavendish

   Ellen Huffman passed away due to congestive heart failure and pneumonia at the age of 87, surrounded by family members at St. Joseph Regional Medical Center in Lewiston, on Saturday, Dec. 29, 2012

   She was born Grace Ellen King at Gritman Medical Center in Moscow on July 18, 1925 to Charlotte Verna Davies King and Raymond McKinley King.

   The family farmed near Moscow in the community of Joel.  Her father was in poor health due to tuberculosis, so they moved to Long Beach, CA where Ellen attended grade school.  Her father died when she was seven years old.  Ellen graduated from Woodrow Wilson High School in Long Beach in 1943.

   She went to a trade school and learned how to operate computer keypunch machines, comptometers and other business machines.  She then worked at Bethlehem Steel in Alameda, CA as a keypunch operator until she had sufficient resources to proceed with her education.

   She attended school at Washington State University in Pullman, WA for a short time before moving back to California.  She then studied at Woodbury Business College in Burbank, CA where she completed her studies in bookkeeping.

   She worked at Arthur A. Havens Co in Los Angeles before moving to Riverside, CA where she worked at Sears Roebuck in their auditing department.

   She married Lowell Huffman on Feb. 14, 1954 in Redlands, CA. In the early years of their marriage, they farmed near Cavendish in the summers while returning to California in the winter to find work.

   After they had children in school, the family stayed in Idaho year round.  The farm continued to grow as did the family with the birth of three children, Joe, Doug and Gary.  After buying property, Ellen helped build the home where she would live from 1969 until the end of her days.

Ellen was an active member of the Teakean Community club for nearly 50 years and a member of the local Extension Club for many years.

   She enjoyed knitting, sewing, quilting and other craft work.  She made many quilts for friends, children and grandchildren.  She enjoyed genealogy and did extensive research on her and her husband’s family tree.

   She is survived by her husband, Lowell at the family home in Cavendish; and three sons, Joe Huffman of Kirkland, WA, Doug Huffman and wife Julie of Cavendish, and Gary Huffman also of Cavendish. 

   She is also survived by six grandchildren, James Huffman-Scott and wife Kelsey of Bellevue, WA, Kimberly Huffman-Scott of Troy, Xenia Vlieger and husband John of Anchorage, AK, Amy Faragher and husband Nathan of Orem, UT, Lisa Huffman of Kent, WA, Brad Huffman of Moscow; and one great grandchild. 

   She was preceded in death by her parents, and brother Louis King.

   At her request, there will be no formal service.

Jeanette L. Isbelle, 92, Orofino

   Jeanette L. Isbelle, 92, of Orofino, passed from this world to be with Dad and God on Dec. 19, 2012.

   Services will be held at 11 a.m. Jan.5 at the Christian Church in Orofino located at 515 Michigan Ave.

Josephine Mamie Kayler Gilbert Duff, 90, Lewiston

   Josephine Mamie Kayler was born Dec. 21, 1922 to James H. Kayler and Harriett Benscoter Kayler in Lewiston. She passed away Wednesday, Dec. 26, 2012 in Lewiston. She was 90 years of age.

   She grew up on the family farm on Angel Ridge in Peck and graduated from Peck High School in 1941. Following high school graduation she attended Lewiston State Normal School where she majored in Elementary Education. She graduated in 1943 and taught second grade for two years in Orofino and one year in Moscow.

   Josephine married William E. Gilbert in 1945 when he returned from service in the Army Air Corp during WWII. They moved to San Francisco, CA, where Bill attended mortuary school and Josephine worked for a Studebaker dealership.

   After Bill graduated they moved to Moscow, where he worked for Short’s Mortuary. In 1947 twin sons, James (Jim) and John (Jack) were born. In 1949 they moved to Orofino, where they bought the Shaw mortuary and began operating Gilbert’s Chapel. Later a new mortuary was built on Michigan Avenue. Bill was killed in an automobile accident in 1963. Josephine continued running the business until 1969 when she moved to Lewiston.

   In 1967 she married Eugene R Duff. They enjoyed many years of boating, fishing, camping and traveling.

   Josephine belonged to the First United Methodist Church of Lewiston and PEO Chapter BL. She was an alumnus and supporter of Lewiston State Normal School, now Lewis-Clark State College.

   She was preceded in death by her parents, James and Harriett Kayler; her mother and father-in-law, Les and Effie Gilbert; her first husband, William Gilbert; son James Gilbert, step son-in-law Dallas Groseclose and great nephew John Robert Kayler.

   She is survived by her brothers Marion Kayler and John (Beverly) Kayler; her husband Eugene Duff; son Jack (Patricia) Gilbert; stepdaughters Connie Groseclose and Nancy (Tom) Blewett; daughter-in-law Dixie Gilbert; grandchildren Lisa (James) Stimmell, Paul (Jill) Groseclose, Philip (Lean) Lee, Christine (Joel) Green, Richard (Charlette) Gilbert, Stephanie Berry, Carol Alspaugh, and Kellie (Rob) Atkinson; nine great-grandchildren, two nieces and one nephew.

   Contributions may be made in Josephine’s memory to Lewis-Clark State College, 500 8th Avenue, Lewiston, Idaho 83501 or PEO Chapter BL, c/o Marilyn Carlson, 2018 14th St, Lewiston, Idaho 83501.

   There will be a viewing Saturday, Jan. 5 from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. at Malcom’s Brower-Wann Funeral Home, 1711 18th Street in Lewiston. A memorial service will be held at a later date.

Joyce Buchholz, 87, Lewiston

   Joyce Buchholz of Lewiston died Tuesday, Dec. 25, 2012 of age-related causes at the Idaho State Veterans home in Lewiston. She was 87.

   Joyce was born Nov. 28, 1925 in Weippe to Howard and Minnie Snyder (Bonner). She graduated high school there.

   On Nov. 5, 1946 she married Harold R. Buchholz in Vancouver, WA.

   Joyce and Harold lived in Weippe until 1976, the moved to Moscow for nine years. They retired in 1975 and lived in the Lewiston Orchards.  

   Joyce was a caregiver for family members and loved to cook and bake for her family. She traveled to Europe, Mexico, Canada, and extensively in the U.S. with her husband and children.  Joyce went to Branson, MO five times and loved all kinds of music, but especially Lawrence Welk and country music.

   Joyce is survived by her husband, Harold, at their Lewiston home; son Greg Buchholz of Bonney Lake, WA; daughter and son-in-law Jan and Bruce Wyatt of Lewiston; grandchildren and spouses Chris and Christy Buchholz of Oakland, CA, Jonathan and Jamie Buchholz of Seattle, WA, Monika Buchholz of Bonney Lake, Jennifer and Todd Clovis of Asotin, WA, and Jessica and Ryan Thompson of Lewiston; and great grandchildren Jackson Buchholz of Oakland, CA, Cassie and Cameron Clovis of Asotin, and Lyla Mae Thompson of Lewiston.

   She is also survived by several nieces and nephews, and many good friends.

   Joyce was preceded in death by her father, mother, four brothers, and two sisters.

   A visitation and viewing were held Dec. 28 at Vassar-Rawls Funeral Home in Lewiston.

   The funeral service took place Dec. 29 at Vassar-Rawls, followed by burial at Weippe Cemetery.

   Memorial donations may be made to the Idaho State Veterans Home.

   The Family would also like to thank Diana Stamper, Joyce's personal caregiver, and all the staff at The Idaho State Veterans Home for the wonderful care Joyce received.