April 5, 2012

Ask Fish and Game: controlled hunt applications

By Niels Nokkentved, IDFG

   Q. How soon can I apply for a controlled elk hunt?

   A. The application period for elk controlled hunts, as well as controlled hunts for deer, pronghorn, fall black bear and fall turkey runs from May 1 through June 5.

   Hunters may apply for controlled hunts at any hunting license vendor, Fish and Game office; with a credit card by calling 1-800-55HUNT5 or 1-800-554-8687; or online at

   An additional fee is charged for telephone and Internet applications. Hunters must have a 2012 Idaho hunting license to apply.

Ask Fish and Game: depredation hunts

By Niels Nokkentved, IDFG

   Q. When can I apply for depredation hunts this year?

   A. The sign-up period to participate in depre-dation hunts this year runs from May 1 through June 30.

   Applications that come in after June 30 are added to the list but have little chance of being selected. Applicants must have a valid Idaho hunting or combination license.

   Depredation hunts, if needed, are usually held on short notice, in small areas and involve only a few hunters. Hunters may apply in different regions, but only once each year for deer, once for elk and once for pronghorn.

   For more information and an application form, check the 2012 Big Game Rule Book, which will be available about mid-April.