CLEARWATER TRIBUNE HOME
November 17, 2011
Most upland game seasons are still open
By Niels Nokkentved, IDFG
Though many big game seasons are winding up, many upland game seasons are still open including several upland birds as well as cottontail rabbits and snowshoe hares.
Hunters will find upland hunting rules and shooting times in the rules brochure at license vendors and Fish and Game offices as well as on the department Website at http:// fishandgame.idaho.gov.
Seasons still open include:
• California quail through Jan. 31 in northern and southwestern
• Chukar and gray partridge through Jan. 31.
• Pheasants through Dec. 31 in Area 1 in northern Idaho and Area 3 in southwestern Idaho; through Nov. 30 in Area 2 in eastern Idaho.
• Forest grouse, which includes ruffed, spruce and dusky (blue) grouse, through
Dec. 31 in most of
• Cottontail rabbits through Feb. 28 and snowshoe hares through March 31. The daily bag limit for both is eight, with 16 in possession after the first day.
There is no season on pygmy rabbits. To distinguish, note that cottontail tails are dark above and white underneath and the pygmy's tail is buffy gray with no white. The cottontail is more than a foot long, and the pygmy is less than one foot.
Waterfowl seasons also are
open through Jan. 13 in Area 1, northern and eastern
Contact the local Fish and Game office to determine whether pygmy rabbits are found in your hunting area.
The fall general turkey season
runs through Dec. 15 in game management units 1, 2 (except
All hunters need a valid 2011
Riverside Sport Shop/Sinclair
11320 U.S. Highway 12, Orofino--208-476-5418
Click here to see their web page