Click here for obituaries published January to June, 2011
Click here for obituaries published Oct. 28 - Dec. 30, 2010
Click here for obituaries published Aug. 12 - Oct. 21, 2010

Obituaries for July 28, 2011

Kurt K. Potratz, 79, Orofino

   Kurt K. Potratz of Orofino went home to be with the Lord Sunday, July 24, 2011 at Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane, WA. He was 79.

   Kurt was born July 14, 1932 in Pierre, SD to Walter and Violet Potratz.

   He graduated from Rathdrum High School in 1951, and from North Idaho Jr. College in 1953. He also attended the University of Idaho for a short time. He served in the U.S. Army from 1956 to 1962.

   Kurt married Bonita Turcott Oct. 20, 1955. After serving his country he returned to the Coeur d’Alene area to log for various companies before moving his family to the Pierce area, where he became a logging contractor for Potlatch Corporation.

   The family enjoyed numerous summers on the Northfork where he was working. He loved to go fishing there with his kids. After retiring in 1994 he built his own fishing pond, where he spent many hours sitting on the dock fishing.

   They moved to Orofino five years ago and were members of the First Baptist Church. He loved the Lord and faithfully served in his church, sharing the gospel every chance he could. He was a very giving person and was always there to lend a helping hand.

   Kurt was very involved within the community. He served on the Clearwater County Planning & Zoning Committee for 18 years, helped build the Mountain View Baptist Church in Pierce and was involved with numerous volunteer projects. He was very well known for his carpentry skills.

   He is survived by his wife Bonita and their children, sons Mike Potratz of Puyallup, WA and Bob and wife Leslie of Pierce, and daughter Sharon Waugh and husband Jeff of Orofino; his mother, Violet Potratz and brother Gary Potratz of Coeur d’Alene and sister Joann Carlson of Greenacres, WA; four grandsons, Matt, Chris and Jon Potratz and Joey Myers; two granddaughters, Jessica Libolt and Renee Potratz; and seven great grandchildren.

   A celebration of Kurt’s life will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 6 at the First Baptist Church, 219 118th St in Orofino. A provided dinner will follow.

   In lieu of flowers the family asks that you please make a donation to the AWANA Club, PO Box 1070, Orofino, ID 83544.

Floyd Snyder, 87, Weippe

   Floyd Gordon Snyder, formerly of Weippe, passed away Wednesday, July 20, 2011, at Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center after battling a long and extended illness. He was 87.

   Floyd was born to Denver and Sylvia (Teed) Snyder at the family home on the Weippe Prairie May 20, 1924. 

   He was a fun-loving and mischievous boy who was raised in a family of eight children (five boys and three girls).  Floyd was eight years old when his father passed away, and his mother passed away when he was eleven years old.  The close-knit family of children managed to stay together with the help of their grandmother, Lillian Teed.

   During those years, Floyd was educated in the Weippe schools.  When he was 14 years old and a freshman in high school, he worked nights in a lumber mill on a green chain and went to school by day.

   Floyd was a proud member of Weippe’s first six-man football team, and he played on the school’s basketball team.

   Floyd married his high school sweetheart, Barbara (Wells) Snyder, May 27, 1944.  During their years together, Floyd worked on their ranch to develop a herd of Hereford cattle.  He also worked 20 years in the logging industry for Frank Fromelt after which he continued working for various other logging operations. 

   In off-seasons, he worked at various locations as an operating engineer through the Operating Engineer’s Local 370 running heavy equipment.  In 1973 the couple sold their ranch and moved to Weippe where they still own their home. 

   Floyd loved basketball. He attended referee classes and served as a referee for high school games.  He also played for several years on Weippe and Pierce town teams. For three years, he coached basketball to a group of boys from their fifth grade year through eighth grade. This group of boys later went on to win the state championship in their league.  Floyd was really proud of the boys’ accomplishment. 

   Floyd enjoyed hunting, camping, fishing, team roping, going to auction sales, and serving as a livestock project 4-H leader.  He never knew a stranger, and he always enjoyed visiting with other people. He also enjoyed listening to music provided by family members. Family was very important to Floyd.

   Surviving Floyd is his wife, Barbara, of 67 years; his daughter Gwen (Burton) Greenfield and her husband Vic; his grandchildren Ted Burton, Kim Burton, and Russ Burton and his wife Elena; and his one great-grandchild, Aleska Burton.

   Also surviving Floyd are two sisters, Marie Vanderpool and Lillie Thiessen and her husband Gordon; numerous nieces, one nephew, and numerous cousins.

   Floyd was preceded in death by his son, Roger Snyder; his parents; his brothers, Robert, Bert, Ellis, and Louie; and his sister, Mary.

   Funeral services were held Monday, July 25, at Pine Hills Funeral Chapel in Orofino, at 11 a.m. A graveside service took place at the Weippe Cemetery followed by a potluck dinner at the White Pine Rebekah Lodge in Weippe.

Donna L. Rueppel, 82, Peck

   Donna Lorraine Rueppel of Peck passed away Thursday, June 30, 2011 at Garden Skilled facility in Spokane, due to complications related to cardiac surgery. She was 82.

   Family and friends are invited to gather for a potluck lunch at 1 p.m. on Saturday, July 30 at the Peck Community Center to help celebrate her life.

   Donna was born in Princeton, ID on July 7, 1928, to William and Nellie (Shook) Trotter. She attended grade school in Princeton and high school in Potlatch, graduating in 1946. On June 7, 1946 she and John W. Rueppel were married in Moscow.

   In 1953 John went to work for Clearwater Power Company and they moved to Lewiston. In 1961 he was transferred to Orofino and in 1962 the family moved to Peck.

   Donna was a homemaker and was dedicated to her family. Not only was she “Mom” to her own three children, but a lot of the other kids in Peck. The kids were all invited to the Rueppel’s and were treated as family, the only requirement before entering the house was “take your shoes off outside, bring them in and put them on the newspaper inside the kitchen door.” She was also an avid Mariners fan and until her illness never missed a game on television.

   Donna had two sons and one daughter, all of whom passed away in early adulthood due to complications of Type I Diabetes Mellitus.

   She is survived by her sister Ardith (Max) Stewart of Lewiston; sisters-in-law Jessie Rueppel and Mitzy Burris, both of Moscow, and Wanda Rueppel of Deary; grandchildren Mirisa (Dawny) McCullough of Pendleton, OR, Tammy Crawley of Pilot Rock, OR, John W. (Nick) Rueppel of Peck, Barry C. (B.C.) Rueppel of Beaverton, OR, Coby Bloodsworth of Peck and Robert Rueppel of Pilot Rock; 11 great grandchildren and two great-great grandchildren.

   She was preceded in death by her parents, her husband John W., daughter Gaylene Bloodsworth, sons John D. and Barry L., and grandson Marty Bloodsworth.

Zona Brewer Grytness, 71, Spokane, WA

   Zona Brewer Grytness of Spokane, WA passed away peacefully on Thursday, June 2, 2011, surrounded by her family.

   Zona was born in Orofino on April 26, 1941 to Helen (Wells) and Strather (Straw) Brewer and had a very happy childhood with her sister, Sonnie, born 13 months later.

   They lived at logging camps in northern Idaho, and then moved to Spokane, WA prior to Straw’s deployment to the South Pacific in World War II. The family settled in Peck after her parents purchased the Peck store from her grandfather, Earl Wells.

   Zona graduated from Orofino High School in 1959. Her grandchildren were always thrilled to know their beloved “Nana” had actually worn poodle skirts and danced the twist.

   Zona attended Lewis and Clark Normal School in Lewiston, and later married Richard (Dick) Grytness. They had two children, Tammy and Jeff. They made their family home in Lewiston, and Spokane.

   Zona was so many things, a loving, inspiring and devoted mother and grandmother, a wonderful sister, a great aunt and cousin, and a terrific friend. During her retirement, Dick and Zona loved traveling and spending time with their family and friends, attending countless sports games, piano and dance recitals, and choir concerts of their grandchildren, Katie and Peter Welch.

   Missing her so very much are her husband, Dick Grytness; daughter, Tammy and husband, Mark of Mercer Island, WA; son, Jeff of Loon Lake, WA; sister, Sonnie Campbell of Spokane; great uncle, Dayton Wells and his wife, Norma of Spokane; great aunt, Gail Dietz of La Center, WA; cousins, Sabra Dietz (Cletus), La Center, WA, Steve Dietz (Lori) of Lewiston, and Clayton Cross (Yvonne) of Clarkston, WA.

   A memorial service and reception will be held at 11 a.m. on Sept. 9, 2011 at the United Methodist Church in Orofino.

William “Bill” Williams, 69, former resident


   William Ervin “Bill” Williams, Antioch, CA, formerly of Orofino, left this Earth for Heaven, Thursday, July 14, 2011 after a long battle with cancer. He was 69.

   Bill was born Jan. 22, 1942 in Wendell to Charles Orval and Helen Mae Claiborn-Williams. 

   He went to Orofino High School.  He received his GED on March 11, 1960 from the United States Armed Forces Institute (USAFI). He served in the United States Army from July 18, 1960 to July 17, 1963 and was stationed at Fort Leonard, Wood, MO,  where he received an honorable discharge. He received medals for marksmanship (rifle), expert (carbine) and good conduct. He received a certificate for Operating Engineers Journeyman Apprenticeship May 25, 1971.

   He was a construction machine operator and drove a bulldozer. He was employed by and retired from Ford Motor Company after 30+ years. He then drove a tour bus for Sierra Pacific Tours until his passing.

   Bill loved animals, he enjoyed driving, traveling and camping in his motor home, fishing, gold panning and watching Kansas lightening storms with his granddaughters. Everyone who met Bill loved and adored him.

   Bill married Ruth “Sue” Tinsley on March 9, 1963 in Dawson, MO. They moved to Idaho then to California. They divorced June 1966 in Milpitas, CA.

   Bill married Kay Bailey on Aug. 5, 1972 in Reno, NV.  She survives him.

   Survivors also include his daughter, Helen Fayeline “Faye” Williams-Rubow and her husband Chuck, Chanute, KS; stepson Ralph Deborba, Danville, CA; stepdaughter Tracy Deborba, San Jose, CA; a verbally adopted daughter Charlotte Shaw-Chase and husband Mike, Chanute, KS; a verbally adopted son Tony Clark, Chanute, KS; mother Helen Mae Highly, Portland, OR;  three brothers George Alan and wife Carol Williams, Portland, OR, Dewey Lee and wife Renee Williams, Fort Worth, TX, Roy John Williams, Lincoln, NE; sister Cherie Mae Williams-Shearer and husband Tom, Portland, OR;  four granddaughters Desirae Rubow, Los Angeles, CA, Danielle, Darian and Devin Rubow, Chanute, KS; two step-grandchildren Finesse and Israel Deborba, San Jose, CA; six verbally adopted grandchildren, Kristin, Kody and Kylie Chase, and Levi, Matt and Toni Clark, Chanute, KS;  god-daughter Cali Bowersmith, San Jose, CA; ex-wife and friend Sue Tinsley-Shaw and several nieces and nephews.

   Preceded in death are Bill’s father Charles Orval Williams; brothers David Richard Williams, Paul Michael Williams and Bills paternal and maternal grandparents.

   At Bills request there will be no services. His body will be cremated and taken home in a beautiful black and white marble urn. A personal celebration of Bill’s life will be observed by the family.

   Memorials are suggested to the cancer society or any charity of your choice in Bill’s name.

   Cards may be sent to Rubows, 193 East 49th St. Chanute, KS 66720.

Kenneth D. Stockard, 85, Kamiah

   Kenneth D. Stockard, of Kamiah, died Sunday, July 17, 2011, at St. Mary's Hospital in Cottonwood. He was 85.

   Ken was born Nov. 26, 1925, at Greer to Charles and Elsie McKinley Stockard.

   He attended grade school in Greer, and high school in Kamiah and Cottonwood.

   Ken joined the U.S. Navy in 1944 and served in the Pacific during World War II. After discharge he returned to the Orofino-Weippe area, where he worked at numerous mills, mostly as an electrician or certified lumber grader. Ken also worked six years on the construction of Dworshak Dam as an equipment operator and electrician.

   He married Mary McPherson in Orofino, June 1, 1948, and she died in 1991.

   Ken was an avid fisherman and hunter, and enjoyed many hobbies including music and photography.

   He is survived by his best friend and companion, Rosemary Hutchins of Kamiah; his stepson, Melvin McPherson of Weippe; and four step-grandchildren. Ken was preceded in death by his parents; his wife, Mary Stockard; two stepchildren, Pat and Sam; three brothers, Dick, Frank and Lester; and two sisters, Beula and Florence.

   A memorial Mass was held Thursday, July 2 at St. Catherine's Catholic Church in Kamiah. Inurnment will be at Pine Grove Cemetery in Kooskia. Trenary Funeral Home of Kooskia is assisting the family.

Robert Jacobson, 78, Whitefish, MT

   Robert C. “Jake” Jacobson, Whitefish, MT, passed away unexpectedly at his home on July 13, 2011. He was 78.

   Jake will be missed greatly by his family and friends.

   He was born in Whitefish on March 14, 1933 to Andy and Lucille Jacobson. He spent his childhood in Whitefish and attended Whitefish schools.

   Jake married his high school sweetheart, Shirley Mason on June 1, 1953. Shirley and Jake recently celebrated their 58th wedding anniversary.

   Jake joined the Navy in 1951 and served in Korea. Jake and Shirley lived in San Francisco during those years. After his discharge, the couple returned to their hometown. They started a business and started a family living on Texas Ave. near family for the next seven years.

   Sons Bobby and Danny were born in 1956 and 1958. Tragically, Bobby passed away from complications of a spinal meningococcal virus in 1962.

   In 1961 Jake took a job with the U.S. Forest Service. The family moved to Billings, MT to begin a new journey and remained there eight years. Their son Mason (Smokey) was born there in 1963.

   The family then settled in Orofino and remained there until Jake’s retirement in 1988. They lived in Orofino 20 years. The couple then returned to Whitefish, settling in the Mason family home on Texas Ave.

   Jake had many hobbies and interest and was always busy puttering around or fixing something. He enjoyed 4-wheeling, snowmobiling, hunting and working with various service organizations including Moose Lodge Elks, VFW, Sheriff’s Posse and Clearwater Search and Rescue. Jake was the founding member of the Iguana’s in 1976 in Orofino.

   Jake and Shirley had the opportunity to travel and to spend time with family and friends camping and boating all over the United States.

   He was preceded in death by his parents; younger brother Dan, and his son Bobby.

   Surviving him is his wife Shirley; sons Dan and wife Dawn, Whitefish, MT and the North Fork, Mason and wife Debbie, currently residing in Belize; Dan’s sons, AJ of California, Tyler and wife Malarie, currently serving in the U.S. Army stationed in North Carolina; Dawn’s sons Nathan, Garrett and wife, Liz and Thane and Baylee; Mason’s children David, Jeremy, Anna, Joel, Grace, Daniel, Mercy and Isaiah; sister Betty; brother Bruce and numerous nieces, nephews and friends.

   Jake never failed to lend a hand or offer help. He was a master storyteller and had an infectious laugh and smile that could liven up any situation.

   To our dear “Jake”: a hole has been left in our hearts and in our lives. We will forever love and miss you!

   A memorial service was held July 19 at the Moose Lodge in Whitefish.


Celebration of Life for Carolyn Erickson

   A memorial celebration of life is being held for Carolyn Erickson on Saturday, Aug. 6 at the Weippe Community Center in Weippe at 1:30 p.m.

   Carolyn was a long time resident of the Pierce-Weippe area. She passed away Dec. 8, 2010 in Bow, WA at the age of 70.

   Everyone who knew her is invited to attend. There will also be a potluck afterwards. If you would like to bring a dish, please do. If not, please, just bring yourselves.

Bobbie Knapp memorial potluck Aug. 6

   The family of Bobbie Knapp invites all her friends and classmates to a memorial potluck at 1012 Harmony Heights Loop (formerly 2190 Orofino Creek Road) Saturday Aug. 6, starting at noon.

   Come early, stay late, bring your memories, stories and lawn chairs.

Obituaries for July 21, 2011

Blanche A. Bittleston, 86, Peck

   Blanche passed away Saturday, July 16, 2011, at Clarkston Care Center, after an 11-year battle with bone marrow cancer. She was 86,

    She was born May 3, 1925, in Conewango, N.Y. She was raised on a dairy farm during the Great Depression, so learned a deep sense of appreciation for the blessings in her life. After graduating from high school, she ventured to Anderson, IN, where she worked in the factories to put herself through school at Anderson University.

   Then as a daring young gal, she decided to go west. She ended up in Portland, OR, where she started college at Warner Pacific College. There she met the love of her life in the men's dorm - Oliver Bittleston.

   She graduated in 1953 with a bachelor's degree in Christian education. She and Oliver were married June 12, 1953, on Mount Hood and have survived graciously for 58 years.

   She dedicated her life to service to God as supporting wife and co-pastor. The Bittlestons served churches in Big Sandy, MT, Orofino and Clarkston, WA. Because of economic need, they also started Clearwater Mobile Home Sales and Service in 1963. They raised five children in Orofino then retired in 1994 to Peck. The couple did take a five-year break from pastoring to farm in Coeur d'Alene and operated a privately sponsored boy's home in Hayden Lake.

   Blanche was very active in the Women of the Church of God missionary societies. She loved playing the organ and piano, the Gaithers and cooking for anyone who would eat. She also loved caring for her family, extended family and far-away missions. She was a special friend to everyone who knew her.

   Blanche gave as many pennies as she could collect for the mission program "penny a day." She enjoyed numbers and hand-calculating, having solitary time in mountains, playing Skipbo, reading, gardening and picking huckleberries.

   Some of her favorite foods included: strawberries and whip cream, hot tamales, red Jello and her homemade sugar-free apple pie.

   Surviving Blanche are her husband, Oliver; children: son, Cyrus R. Bittleston and mate Diana Poulton of Orofino; and daughters, Creta L. Reilly and husband Joe Saxton of Uniontown, Corlene A. and husband Tim Becker of Genesee, Christy E. and husband Larry Skinner of Orofino, and Cynthia L. White of Lewiston; brother Arden Seekins of Iowa, as well as 10 grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.

   She was preceded in death by her parents, Ray and Lola Seekins; sisters, Aneita Seekins, Florence Bacon, Dorothy White and Marilyne Warne.

   A viewing is scheduled from 3 to 7 p.m. Wednesday at Merchant Funeral Home in Clarkston, WA. Memorial services will be at 4 p.m. Thursday at First Church of God, 910 Sycamore St., Clarkston, with Hugh Friberg of Nampa officiating, followed by a covered-dish dinner at the church. The family will conduct a private committal Thursday.

   Memorial donations are suggested to the WOCG Missionary Society.

   Merchant Funeral Home is handling arrangements.

   Honey and Mom, we can see you now playing your organ with the angels in heaven. We love you and will miss you always!

Frances Cooper Korman, 91, Boise

   Frances Jeanette Cooper Korman (Frankie), Boise, died Tuesday, June 21, 2011 at Life Care Center of Treasure Valley in Boise. She was 91.

   She was born June 25, 1920 to Edna and Arthur F. Cooper. She was the third of 12 children.

   Frankie and her siblings were raised on the homestead at Upper Fords Creek above Orofino. She had many memories growing up on the farm. Her earliest memory was her father shooting a bear from the porch of the cabin. She related the story of rushing into a burning barn to rescue two sobbing children.

   She grew into a beautiful young lady and caught the eye of Mont Kerr. She was 17 when they married. Three children were born from that marriage, Ione, Sam and Denton. The family lived on the Clear Creek in Kooskia. Frankie chopped wood, cooked over a wood stove, drew water from the creek, drove the children to school driving over thin boards that kept them from falling into a huge whirlpool below, and did all she could to take care of her family.

   The family pulled up stakes and moved to Boise in 1950. Frankie took her family on many trips between Boise and Orofino to visit.

   Frankie and Mont were later divorced.

   For many years Frankie worked downtown at the Skaggs Drug Store, later called Payless and Rite Aid. She worked in the cosmetic department providing friendly service to most everyone that lived in Boise at that time.

   She met and married Hank Korman. Kandy was born from that marriage.

   Frankie was a gracious hostess as they entertained family and friends at their home. They also enjoyed the horse races at Le Bois Park.

   After Hank passed away, she was a resident at Hillcrest Retirement and Ashley Manor. She was cheerful and enjoyed the company of the other residents. She was always a lady and stood out as a striking woman.

   She is survived by two sisters, Mabel Grogan, Priest River and Effie McAllister, Orofino; two brothers, Ollie Cooper, Orofino and Lloyd Cooper, McCall; two sons, Sam (Nita), Boise and Denton (Wendy), Panguitch, UT; daughter, Kandy (Tom) Compton, Boise; 11 grandchildren, eight great-grandchildren, and eight great-great-grandchildren.

   She was preceded in death by husband Hank, daughter Ione; seven brothers and sisters; and two grandchildren.

   Funeral services were held June 24 at Summers Funeral Homes in Boise. Burial followed at Morris Hill Cemetery.

   The family would like to thank Life Care Center of Treasure Valley for their kind loving care during her final days.

Jeffrey P. Ott, of Pierce, 1957-2011

    Copperhead is gone. Kicking-up daisies dead. That little SOB finally threw in the shop towel. He said, "I love you all, but I'm tired of this crap. I'm gonna go have a few beers with Dale and talk about what a bunch of wussies they have driving and running NASCAR."

    He gave it a ride, though. Someone wrote, "The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!"

    With Copperhead, it was a four-wheel drift around a tight curve going up to Jump Off Joe on a summer day with a Rainier in his crotch in a Sunbeam Alpine with the top down on a newly graveled road, with the tach pinned and white knuckles on the steering wheel - spewing gravel in the faces of all the doctors that told him he wouldn't make it.

    Wouldn't make it, my butt! He's been flipping the bird at the medical profession for so many years that he'll need physical therapy to wrap his hand around a cold one. Ah, Copperhead. What a ride. And what a love! CH will always mean cars and love. Your love of cars and your love of the people you touched. And your scathing wit.

    Dang, you were a presence. And you knew how to deal with customers. "Do you have a fan belt for a '65 slant six?" "Yep." "Can I get one?" "Yep." "...Why aren't you getting it for me?" "Cause you didn't say please." and "How much is an air filter for a '76 Volare?" "$12.99." "Schucks only charges $6.99 but they're out of them." "Yeah, well we only charge $4.99 when we're out of them." Dang you were funny. And you were determined to go the way you wanted to - peacefully at home with your mommy and your sisters by your side.

    We'll think of you every time we see a Hillman for sale. We'll think of you every time we see a NASCAR logo. We'll think of you every time we talk to a friend and know they're listening to us and loving us.

    Goodbye, you beautiful curmudgeon. As you're cruising the back roads of heaven looking for that barn-car that you can buy for $100, sell for $500, buy back for $100 and resell for $500 - as you're doing that, just smile down on us occasionally and keep a cold Bud in the back-seat cooler for us. We'll all be there eventually, and we'll be dang thirsty.

    The family would like to invite you to a celebration of life for Jeff this Saturday, July 23, starting at 2 p.m., in the courtyard at the Timber Inn in Pierce, ID. If you would like to bring a dish please do. If not, please, just bring yourselves.

Obituaries for July 14, 2011

Zoie McLean, 106, Orofino

   Zoie McLean passed away July 7, 2011 at her residence at Brookside Landing in Orofino. She was 106.

   She was born Nov. 2, 1904 at home on her parents’ horse and cattle ranch near Creston, WA. She rode her horse to school the first few years.

   She graduated from Creston High School and then on to WSC where she obtained a B.A. in Education. Her first teaching job was at Hunters, WA. There she met and eloped to marry Clair McLean. Her last three years of teaching was at Kettle Falls, WA and at age 103 was able to go to the class reunion, ride in the parade and dance the night away.

   She was preceded in death by her parents Charles and Elizabeth Mangis; sister Lena Hauger; brother Orville Mangis; great-grandson Travis McLean and great-granddaughter Heather McLean Lougee.

   She is survived by two sons Courtney McLean and wife Evelyn, Orofino and Douglas McLean and wife Leota, Redwood City, CA; seven grandchildren; 13 great-grandchildren and five great-great-grandchildren.

   A memorial service celebrating her life will be held on Saturday, July 30 at 11 a.m. at the Senior Center building, 903 Michigan Ave, Orofino with a luncheon to follow.

William G. Crutcher, 81, former resident


   William G. (Bill) Crutcher, Walla Walla, WA, passed away July 9 in Walla Walla. He was 81.

   He was born in Ahsahka to James and May Crutcher “in the little house up on the hill that looked over the river.” He was raised in the Orofino area.

   As a youngster, Bill loved to fish in the area where Dworshak Dam is now located. He would also hunt the area behind the dam for deer. His father always told him “you can catch a fish where there aren’t any fish and find a deer where there aren’t any deer.”

   Bill served in the Korean War returning in 1954. He had gone to a movie and stopped off for a cup of coffee at the Empire Café where he met “a little bubbly red-head” named Marilyn Williams. He escorted her home every night after that until they married in June. With this bond came three children, twins Jan (Johnson) and Jill (Murphey), and a third daughter, Judi Crutcher. Though now divorced, Bill and Marilyn remained very good friends.

   As a young man Bill worked at the Riverside Mill in Orofino. From 1967-1971, he served in the Idaho State Senate from District 7. He moved his family to Boise where he became Director of the Disability Determinations Unit. Later, he spent years managing various motels in the Northwest area, ending up in Walla Walla.

   Bill was involved in many civic, fraternal, and governmental organizations, including Jaycees, Odd Fellows, Eagles, Elks, AMVETS, Chamber of Commerce and Rotary Club to name a few. He was also involved with the Orofino Little League as coach and umpire for 17 years, one of the favorite “jobs” that he ever had.

    He was involved with OCI (Orofino Celebrations Inc.) For 40 years, he was the auctioneer at the Orofino Lumberjack Days. He loved this because he would prank many of his friends such as selling a box of cigars worth $7 for $45 or selling a hair permanent to a bald guy.

   Bill was preceded in death by his brother Jim.

   He is survived by his angel, Bernice Charlton (Miss Kitty) of Weston, WA, daughters Jan Johnson, Jill Murphey and Judi Crutcher, all of Boise; sister Mary Ellen Starkey, Arizona; ex-wife and friend Marilyn Williams, Boise; four grandchildren, Stephanie Hendrickson, Dustin Strickland and his wife Heidi, Riley Johnson, all of Boise and Janelle Ritchey and her husband Dave, Scottsdale, AZ and great-grandchildren Austyn Mason and Trevor Strickland.

   A celebration of life will be held at a later date.

   Contributions in Bill’s honor can be made to a charity of your choice.

   Bill is back in his “little house up on the hill that looks over the river.”

Janet Kingen, 63, Fraser

   Janet Louise Stevens Kingen was born in Orofino on Nov. 1, 1947 to Ken and Eva Stevens. She died July 9, 2011.

   Janet attended Orofino High School in the early 60’s. She married the man of her dreams, Pete Kingen, on Jan. 2, 1965 in Orofino. They made a home in Weippe and later moved to Pete’s family ranch in Fraser. Their daughter Julie was born in 1966 and a second daughter, Deann, was born in 1969. 

   They moved to Lewiston in 1974 and raised their family. Janet was a very good loving wife and mother. She traveled to various road construction jobs with her husband before retiring back to the family ranch in Fraser in 1997. 

   She loved to cook, clean, play pinochle, do puzzles and watch movies. She enjoyed her grandkids. Janet loved to help people and she never met a stranger. She is survived by her husband of 46 years, Pete Kingen; her daughters, Julie Woods of Post Falls, Deann and her husband Greg Sanders of Canal Winchester, OH; her grandsons, Brandon Woods and Colter and Caleb Sanders. 

   She was preceded in death by her father, Ken Stevens, mother Eva Stevens, and sisters Joan Ann and Linda Montambo.

   Funeral Services were held at Pine Hills Funeral Chapel in Orofino on Wednesday, July 13 with Pastor Don Blain officiating. Burial was at Fraser Cemetery, followed by dinner at the Fraser Community Center. Pine Hills Funeral Chapel in care of arrangements.

Doris Lyda, 77, Orofino

   Doris Bonner Lyda, 77, passed away Friday July 8, 2011, at St Joseph Regional Medical Center in Lewiston within a month of a cancer diagnosis. She died peacefully with her loved ones by her side.

   She was born in the family home in Orofino, to Blaine and Cleta Bonner on January 6, 1934. She lived her life to the fullest in the beautiful Clearwater County.

   She met her life’s partner when she opened the family door to a disheveled but handsome young man needing help with a deer. Doris and Perk Lyda were married July 15, 1949, in Orofino, and would have celebrated their 62nd Anniversary this Friday.

   The young couple spent their honeymoon years living at Johnson’s Mill where Perk worked, while Doris honed her wonderful cooking skills. It was at this time their loving daughter, Kathy Ann, was born. She died in 1996.

   In the late 50s, Doris wanted to follow her dream of becoming a nurse and attended school in Lewiston. She discovered she was much too tenderhearted for this and happily moved into cosmetology where she delighted in visiting with her clients as she met their beauty needs.

   She loved being outdoors whether to work or play. Perk became a professional fishing guide on the Clearwater River and they met many wonderful, some famous, people from all over who came here to fish with them and enjoy Doris’ great cooking.

   These lasting friendships led to many interesting traveling experiences, several to Nashville where they often were invited backstage at the Grand Ole Opry. But Doris was happiest when at the ranch they bought on Grangemont where they nurtured a commercial Christmas tree farm for 26 years, rode 4-wheelers in the summer and snowmobiles in the winter.

   Her close-knit cousins are more like sisters and brothers and she loved spending time with them on trips to Montana, the Oregon Coast, at the Clearwater County Fair, and at the Bonner Mountain Music Festival. Also precious to her, were the times spent with friends, especially the campouts at Wilderness Gateway, playing cards or Bunko, and at weekly jam sessions she and Perk hosted.

   Doris was always kind and generous, and patriotic to the bone; she was also spunky and never afraid to speak her mind. She endeared herself to many and will be missed by all who knew her.

   She is survived by her husband Perk and dog Buffy at their Orofino home of 55 years, her “girls” Cheri Jenks and Karen/Bird Goodwin, and many cherished cousins and friends.

   Doris was preceded in death by her parents; daughter Kathy; and brother, Glenn Bonner.

   A memorial service will be held this Saturday, July 16, at 11 a.m. at the Orofino Riverside Cemetery, just below the American Flag. Phil Bonner will officiate and a small dinner for family only will follow.

   In lieu of flowers a donation to the Clearwater Humane Society, PO Box 2063, Orofino, ID, is suggested.

Gordon J. Boyd, 66, Orofino

   Gordon James Boyd died June 29, 2011 due to complications from surgery for stomach cancer. He was granted his last wish, which was to die at home. He was 66.

   He was born July 13 1944 to James Boyd and Stella Clausen Boyd in Lewiston. He married Lynne Young in 1964 and they had five children. They were later divorced.

   He married Sherry Farance in 2005. They were later divorced but continued to live together until his death.

   He was preceded in death by his parents and his bonus son, AJ Swandic.

   He is survived by his ex-wife Lynne Boyd, Orofino; sons James Boyd and partner Tammy Clark, Orofino and Dan Boyd, Lewiston; daughters Mary and husband Galen Kuykendall, Orofino, Michelle and husband Kevin Keenan, Lewiston, and Nicole Curtis, Lewiston; sister Gayle and husband Pete Young, of Montana; uncle Ken Clausen, Clarkston, WA.

   He is also survived by his partner of 20 years, Sherry Boyd at the family home in Orofino; bonus children, John Cermak, Jr. and wife Debbie, Lewiston, Darrell Cermak and wife Sherree, Lewiston and Anne Cermak and partner Mike Baker, Clarkston, WA; 13 grandchildren and seven bonus grandchildren.

   Services were held July 8 at St. Theresa’s Catholic Church in Orofino.

   Gordon was loved by many and will be greatly missed.

Jeffrey Ott, 53, Pierce

   Jeffery Paul Ott, of Pierce, died Sunday, July 10, 2011 at home. He was 53. Services are pending with Pine Hills Funeral Chapel and Crematory in Orofino.

Obituaries for July 7, 2011

Ferice Childers, 85, Orofino

   Ferice B. Childers, age 85, passed away at his home in Orofino, on Monday, July 4, 2011. Orofino’s former police chief is survived by sons, Stephen F. Childers of Orofino and Charles Childers (location unknown).

Gordon Boyd, 66, Orofino

   Gordon James Boyd died June 29, 2011 at his home in Orofino. He was 66.

   Memorial services will take place Friday, July 8 at 11 a.m. at St. Theresa’s Catholic Church, with reception to follow in the Little Flower Room.

   Pine Hills Funeral Chapel and Crematory is in care of arrangements.

Robert Decoria, 65, Orofino

   Robert Euguen Decoria died Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at his home in Orofino. He was 65. No services will be held at this time. Pine Hills Funeral Chapel and Crematory is in care of arrangements.

Ronald Ray Trieb, 57, Clarkston

   Ronald Trieb, of Clarkston, WA, passed away suddenly of a heart attack Monday, June 27, 2011. He was 57.

   He was born April 27, 1954, in Elgin, N.D. to Peter and Agnus Trieb.

   He graduated from Lewiston High School in 1972 and from the American Institute of Baking on Dec. 13, 1974.

   He married Judith Recio Dec. 31, 1986, at the Hitching Post in Coeur d'Alene.

   Ron spent nine years in the baking industry. He also worked as a truck driver and dispatcher for Coca-Cola and Canyon Creek. He lived in the valley most of his life; the past 25 years being in Clarkston.

   He was a volunteer for the Latah County Fire Department. Ron was very involved with restoring old cars. He also owned numerous jet boats and loved to fish.

   Survivors include his wife, Judith, at their Clarkston home; a son and daughter-in-law, Steven and Jamie Recio of LaGrande, OR.; daughter, Amy Recio of Coeur d'Alene; an adopted daughter, Jennifer Trieb; two brothers, Russell and Tammy Trieb of Weippe, and Reggie and Pam Trieb of Mandan, N.D.; he leaves behind numerous grandchildren, and nieces and nephews, who were all very special to him.

   He was preceded in death by his mother, Agnus, Nov. 1, 1973; his father, Peter, Jan. 12, 1994; and his brother, Rodney Dean Trieb, Nov. 1, 2003.

   A wake will be held in memory of Ron's life at 2 p.m. July 16 at 528 12th St. in Clarkston, WA.

Arletha Phillips-Bell, 68, Pahrump, NV

    Born in Twin Falls, May 6, 1943, to Glen D Phillips and Ardith I Robbins-Phillips, Arletha I (Lea) Phillips-Bell, age 68, passed away of a sudden heart attack at her Pahrump, NV home Sunday, June 19, 2011

   Growing up, Lea traveled extensively throughout the United States as her dad pursued a career in construction with Peter-Kewitt, Morrison-Knudson, Murphy Bros. and many others.

Living for a short time in Orofino in the early 60's while her dad work on the road to Dworshak Veiwpoint and the diversion tunnel for the future Dam, she work at the Old Idaho Inn on Riverside for Mary and Carl Peterson.

   In 1963, she moved to Las Vegas, NV.  Lea married David P Bell in 1965 and from this union brought her son, David L Bell. Lea's working career included managing a motel in West Yellowstone, MT; cocktail waitress, cashier. Long-haul truck driver (who would have thought), hostess/bookkeeper, retiring from Allen-Albert's Lobster Restaurants in Las Vegas. She moved to Purcell, OK shortly after to live with her sister Bobbey. In 2007, she moved to Pahrump, NV.

   Most recently she enjoyed a family reunion over memorial weekend at her sister's place on Rudo Rd, Orofino.

   Lea was preceded in death by her dad, Glen D and mom, Ardith I Phillips of Orofino in 1974.

   She is survived by her son David L Bell, grandsons Brenden and  Brady of Arlington, TX; brother, Del (Melodie) Phillips; nephew Carmon (Linda) and family, Onalaska, WA; sisters, Edna (Bobbey) Phillips, Purcell, OK and her three adopted children, WA; Evelyn C Wilson, Orofino;  nephews, Jim and Rory Wilson, CA; niece Robbie Wilson and son, Lewiston; Robin Phillips-Hofmann (Pat); niece Logan of Washington, OK;  aunt, Darlene Cash, Molt, MT and several cousins. At her request cremation took place. A private memorial will be held at a later date.

Fern Moore, 89, Clarkston, WA/Yuma, AZ

   Grace Fern Moore, better known as Fern G. Moore, 89, passed away on Friday, July 1, 2011; at her daughter’s home in Yuma, AZ from effects of old age.  Fern was born October 29, 1921 in Branson, MO, to Levi Newton Haggard, and Emma Victoria (Snapp) Haggard.

   Fern is survived by her daughters; Delores E. Phillips and husband Charles of Huntsville, AR and Teresia E. Gould and husband Randy of Yuma, AZ; seven grandchildren, Charles Phillips Jr., Dee Ann Phillips, Carl Phillips, Tricia (Gregg) Dominguez, Crystal Carter, Earl Phillips, Amanda Gould, eight great-grandchildren, and one great-great-grandchild, who live in the states of Arkansas, Washington, Montana, Idaho and Arizona; and numerous nieces and nephews.

   Fern came from a very large family of seven children; her parents and other siblings all preceded her in death in addition to two grandsons, Billy Joe Phillips and Babe Phillips.  Fern attended Oak Grove School (Grade 1-8), then Branson School District.

   Earl M. Moore and G. Fern Haggard were married April 20, 1940 until Earl’s death on October 21, 2003 (63 ½ years). Fern’s first paid job at ninety cents an hour was at a Branson Manufacturing Co., sanding black walnuts to be made into novelties to be sold to tourists (1952-1953).

   Fern, Earl and Delores then traveled to Idaho (1953) where they had stopped to visit some of Earl’s cousins with plans to travel onto California, but Earl was offered a job at a local saw mill and they decided to make Orofino their home.

   In Idaho, Fern was a housewife, mother, and homemaker, where she gardened, canned and harvested a very large raspberry patch every year for extra money to help purchase material to sew clothing and beautiful handmade quilts. She was an excellent seamstress and a good cook. We all miss her homemade bread, biscuits, cinnamon rolls, pies, and canned goods.

   Fern loved hunting, camping, fishing, rock hounding and jeep rides into the wilderness country of Idaho with family and friends. We’ll miss all the stories she told. Fern was a Cook (May to Sept. 1963) for PTPA at Camp 40 while Earl ran the crew of young men. She also worked as a housekeeper in the 1970’s, first at Konkolville Motel, then the Hacienda Lodge, and last at the Ponderosa/Lewis-Clark Motor Inn until it closed.

   She belonged to a Ladies Club in Missouri then a Ladies Club in Grangemont until they purchased a home closer to Orofino on the Grangemont Road. Since she didn’t drive at the time, she no longer attended meetings. In 1974, Earl and Fern moved from Orofino and made Clarkston, WA their home.

   Graveside services will be at Lewis Clark Memorial Gardens at 2 p.m. July 8 with viewing on the same date from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Mountain View Funeral Home on 8th & Cedar. A potluck gathering for family and friends will follow after the service at the Lions Club, 1205 8th Ave. in Lewiston.

   Any donations can be made in her name to the Lewiston or Yuma Animal Shelters.

Donna Rueppel, 83, Peck

   Donna Lorraine Rueppel, of Peck died Thursday, June 30, 2011 in Spokane, WA. She was 83. Services are pending. Pine Hills Funeral Chapel and Crematory is in care of arrangements.

Ethel V. Luke, 95, Clarkston, WA

July 11, 1915 July 2, 2011

   Ethel V. Luke, of Clarkston, WA, passed away in the late evening of Saturday, July 2, 2011, at Evergreen Estates in Clarkston, WA. She was 95.

    Ethel was born in Bismarck, N.D., July 11, 1915. She was one of twin daughters born to Henry and Ethel Marble Schilling.

   Her mother passed away the day after the twins' birth, leaving the twins and three siblings. Ethel's maternal grandmother, Ella Marble Farris, raised Ethel until she was 16. Her twin sister and her older sister were raised by an aunt, and the two boys were raised by their paternal grandmother. At age 16, Ethel went to live with her father on his ranch near Regan, N.D. She had a wonderful life with her dad and relatives.

   Ethel loved to dance the popular dances of the time including the polka and round dancing.

   She graduated from high school in 1933 in Williston, N.D. She left that summer for Portland, Ore., and enrolled in nursing school. While in nursing school, friends introduced her to Henry Luke. He was a great dancer, very handsome and owned a yellow convertible. She had many good memories of the courtship and the great times they had. Henry and Ethel were married in Vancouver, WA when he was 33 and she was 20.

   They made their home in several towns around the Northwest and finally settled in Clarkston. Henry was employed as a foreman in the automotive business and Ethel began her nursing career at the old White Hospital in Lewiston, then later worked at Tri-State Memorial Hospital in Clarkston.

   In 1957, they left the valley to move to a small ranch at Peck. Henry raised cattle, and Ethel went to work at the Orofino hospital. While at this hospital, she especially loved being a surgery nurse and head of central supply. She also worked as an office nurse at the Orofino clinic. She retired from nursing in 1978.

   Henry and Ethel were married 49 years when Henry passed away in March 1985. Since then she has lived in the Lewiston-Clarkston Valley, where she continued dancing, walking, playing cards, and enjoying the company of friends and family.

   She is survived by her four children, Gordon Luke, Virginia Flores and Sandra Boyer, all of Lewiston, and Michael Luke of Nezperce; 12 grandchildren and 17 great-grandchildren.

   Ethel would want to be remembered for her strong support of her family and friends, and her dedication to her nursing career. She had a great sense of humor and quick wit, which stayed with her all of her life. She was "good company." She liked watching sports on television, especially football. She loved to attend the events in which her children and grandchildren were participating and was known for enthusiastic vocal support.

   Ethel was preceded in death by her parents, her husband Henry, a grandson, Eric Montgomery, one sister and one brother.

   She will be interred in the Orofino Cemetery in Orofino.