Dworshak State Park applying for grant to improve water system

   Dworshak State Park is applying for a Recreational Vehicle Grant to improve the water system at Dworshak State Parkís Freeman Creek area. This grant, if approved, would help drill a well at Freeman Creek to replace the surface water treatment system, or if a well is unfeasible, upgrade the current system to meet all requirements of the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality.

   The requested grant would total $250,000 and provide either designs and engineering to determine if a new well is feasible or improvements to the current system, a pump house and connections to the current water system. 

   The current system takes over $10,000 to operate during the five months that drinking water is offered at Freeman Creek. Repeated failures of the system, age of the current system, costs per year and the possibility of allowing contaminated water to be used are the reasons for the grant application.

   Further information can be obtained by calling Dworshak State Park Assistant Manager Charlie Chase at 208-476-5994.

Annual passes

   According to Chase, it now easier for the public to get the parks department annual passes, good for day use entry at all Idaho State Parks.  Annual passes are now available at Orofino City Hall, 217 1st Street, or by mail by calling Dworshak State Park at 208-476-5994.  Cost is $40 for the first pass and $15 for the second.