CLEARWATER TRIBUNE HOME
APRIL 8, 2010
Ed Donath’s Harness shop was the place to go in 1912, for all your equine needs. He was the harness, tack, and saddle maker of his time. His shop was located on Johnson Avenue, approximately where Murray’s Shoe Store now stands.
The Gaffney Stage, parked in front of The Helgeson Hotel, “Gaffney’s Insured Carrier” took people and their belongings all the way up to Headquarters.
The Clearwater Livery, where one could board horses or get their livestock looked after, stood on 3rd St. where Brookside Landing is today.
Johnson Avenue, Orofino, in the 1930’s. On the left, the Rex Rooms, Ethel’s Tavern, and the Lumberman’s Hotel were south of the creek and across from the Merrill House, the White Hotel, the Secondhand Store, Renshaw Paint, Orofino Body & Fender, and the Lamont Hotel. There were fire hydrants, sidewalks, and the streets were paved by then.
Orofino, a history to tell (Part III)
By Alannah Allbrett
The view through Josephina Rose’s lens must have been an exciting one for her, as she photographed a town that was just beginning. She was a photographer in Orofino in the ‘teens’ of the twentieth century. Wood framed buildings with wooden boardwalks in front, dusty streets (when they weren’t mud), the occasional tent building, and horse rails would have been what she’d have seen.
People gathered in the street in a large circle celebrating the 4th of July. Band members formed a circle of their own – warming up on their instruments and chatting in front of Moody’s Harness Shop. Across from the Noble Hotel, ladies stood with long dresses and bonnets. Gentlemen wore bowlers and straw hats.
Bernice Pullen, the Clearwater Historical Museum’s Director, says that she owns an old 1910, Kodak camera, the kind where one darts under a dark cloth, peers in at an inverted image, re-checks, goes undercover again, and takes a picture using flash powder in a metal tray.
The negative would be burned onto a glass plate. Bernice says, with her grandfather’s old camera, it is quite a labor intensive project to take pictures that way. The glass plate would be pulled out, within its wooden frame, turned around, reinserted, and another photo taken on the reverse side. The museum has many such pictures which are stored on and from these “glass negatives.”
In 1912’s Orofino, Ed Donath’s Harness shop was the place to go for all your equine needs. He was the harness, tack, and saddle maker of his time. His shop (see photo) was located on Johnson Avenue, approximately where Murray’s Shoe Store now stands. This picture is one stored on a glass negative. It is likely, though not certain, that Josephina Rose took this picture. The calendar on Ed’s wall says, “August, 1912.”
The Orofino Tribune and the Clearwater Republican were the newspapers of the day. They combined to form what is today the Clearwater Tribune, of which we are rather fond. The Clearwater Tribune will celebrate its 100th anniversary in a mere three years time.
The old town, south of Orofino Creek, had its pre-fire look and its post fire look (1906) where the town extended further down from Canada Hill on the north side of the creek. Lewis & Clark called the creek Rock Dam Creek because it had rock fishing dams put there by the Nez Perce. The Nez Perce called the big river Koos Koos Ke, meaning “clear water.” It is notated on maps made by Lewis & Clark in a book called The Atlas of the Lewis & Clark Expedition, Volume I, (published in 1983, by the University of Nebraska Press, Lincoln, NE). The museum has all 13 or 14 volumes of this collection. The detailed maps the expedition made, showing islands in the river and even teepee locations they passed are amazing to see.
It is believed that Canada Hill got its name in a somewhat shady way. It was supposedly named during the prohibition days; where one could go drink in “Canada” where alcohol was still legal.
The Noble Hotel, built in 1898, was on the corner of Johnson and 3rd. The fire of 1906 began in that hotel’s kitchen. The Orofino Hotel, located, a little further north next to Orofino Creek, was built in 1908 where Brookside Landing is today. On the west side of the block, on 3rd St., stood The Clearwater Livery where one could board horses or get their livestock looked after.
In the 1930’s, the infamous Rex Rooms, Ethel’s Tavern, and the Lumberman’s Hotel were south of the creek and across from The Merrill House, The White Hotel, the Secondhand Store, Renshaw Paint, Orofino Body & Fender, and the Lamont Hotel. There were fire hydrants, sidewalks, and the streets were paved by then.
By the way, have you visited the museum yet?